Freespace 2

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Freespace 2

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I bought this back when it came out in 1999. Had always installed it but never really gave it a shot. I had Freespace+Expansion and loved it. Just for some reason never played FS2. Well, I installed it this week with the updates to graphics etc and WOW. It's amazing. I'm enjoying playing this Space Sim big time.
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

What stinks about older games is they lack some of the simple refinement of modern games.

Like for instance, I picked up one of the original Call of Duty games recently, and it felt clunky in comparison to the new ones. Descent and Freespace feel the same way to me.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I can understand that. Some games just have gotten so much better over time that playing the older ones really suck. But I find (for myself0 that Descetn and Freespace don't fall in this category.

I still play Descent 2 Rebirth.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

I just played through Warcraft 2, Warcraft 3,Starcraft 1, Starcraft 2, and all associated expansion packs. It was a good education on how game interfaces evolve over time. I wish I could play the original Starcraft with Warcraft 3's interface.
SirWinner
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by SirWinner »

Have you tried the newest Freespace 2 Open Source Releases?

Played Freespace 2 Online almost every day for over a year with my Online teammates. Joystick / Keyboard combination was setup very well for me in FS2... Joystick was ONLY for steering with my right hand... left hand on the keyboard doing everything else like firing missiles, acceleration, etc.

I need er must reinstall FS2 and all the Descent Games with all the latest updates to them all very soon.

*** Sigh *** Addicted to Starcraft 2 at the moment way too much... some of the darn in game medals are very tough to get.

I know that my game needs a lot of improvement before attempting to play competitively (if ever) against real people.

8)
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

That's what I installed is FS2 Open.