Longshot Choice

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Longshot Choice

Post by Tunnelcat »

I've actually heard a of candidate that I just might vote for over Obama, even though he's a Republican, albeit a former Southern Democrat. Despite that he's pro-life, which I don't agree with, and pro-business and pro-capitalism, he sounds halfway intelligent. His message that we need to get the money interests OUT of Washington RIGHT NOW is very appealing. Damn I can agree with those sentiments and he's the only candidate saying that as his platform. He also wants to reform government, not destroy it, like the tea party and Libertarians want. I'm getting desperate to get rid of all the tools in Washington and not just vote in another set in 2012.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnmcquaid ... al-reform/

http://www.pointninenine.com/2011/11/bu ... it-ticket/

http://thinkprogress.org/special/2011/1 ... ing-firms/

http://www.buddyroemer.com/

Opinions? Full of hot air and unattainable dreams or something substantial?
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re: Longshot Choice

Post by woodchip »

TC, he's not even on the public's radar.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

I say you have to do it in stages. Your not voting for a president of the future but one for the present. Throw somebody like Ron Paul in for 4 years to balance some of what Obama Administration and Bush's did , then kick his ass out and vote somebody different in to balance back the other way.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I know this guy is not on the public radar, but does he sound like an interesting candidate if he was more noticed?

flip, Ron Paul wants to eviscerate the government with a hatchet. I want someone who will take a more surgical approach to fix things and who will also make a concerted effort to divorce our government from big money interests.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Yeah, I'd leave him in for only 4 years to reverse Obama's Big Government, then replace him with an independent moderate, then a leftist liberal. :P.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Gee willickers, that sounds like a really peachy way to bring back long term stability and growth. :P
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

Either that, or a good way to really make a mess of things (more than it is) only to resume by returning to 'business as usual' in the White House.

You do realize, without a substantial replacement of the members of Congress or a substantial block of supporters in Congress ... any new President with the intent to make lots of BIG changes (good or bad) departing dramatically (or radically) from how things are currently ... stands little to no chance of succeeding.

Your (pretty much unknown) candidate and candidates like Ron Paul just don't have anywhere near that kind of following or support. Therefore, they cannot win the President seat and cannot lead as President. Without a large block of followers/supporters in Congress... the President can do almost nothing. That was by design of this nation's founders (and I agree with that design).

Thu, thu, thu... That's all folks!

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

With the lack of attention and concern Americans seem to have with what goes on inside their government, we're not going to get change anytime soon. They go like sheep to the polls and vote for however is in office at the moment because it's easy and doesn't require effort to research, or they just vote along their party lines because they think that's proper.

So far, there haven't been big enough tea party or OWS protests to get on the radar of the typical lazy American. I guess when enough people become unemployed or get stuck doing jobs that pay too low to live comfortably in the U.S., or they have to work until they die because they couldn't save anything to retire on, or they can no longer afford health care, change may start happening.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

woodchip wrote:TC, he's not even on the public's radar.
Hey, Roemer has finally appeared on the primary radar in New Hampshire. He's even edged out Rick Perry by a slim margin. Who'd a thought the circle of corrupt and rehashed morons would finally cycle through and people would start searching for someone else out of shear desperation. :P

http://www.salon.com/2012/01/10/the_rev ... singleton/
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

you all know this isn't the first time for Buddy running, right? He goes to NH because it costs virtually nothing to get onto the ballot
(there are 28 candidates on todays). Amusing guy. No chance. Move along, nothing to see here.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

callmeslick wrote:you all know this isn't the first time for Buddy running, right? He goes to NH because it costs virtually nothing to get onto the ballot
(there are 28 candidates on todays). Amusing guy. No chance. Move along, nothing to see here.
Oh, I know that. I just find it funny that he's made a showing over the former Republican savior, Rick Perry. Who I do see as the next up and coming choice is John Huntsman. We'll see by tonight. Voters seem to be holding their noses right now when choosing Romney, and they're itching for just about anyone else without all the nasty baggage.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

get real! Here's a really fun candidate to get behind:
http://www.cnbc.com/id/45931038/Vermin_ ... _President

we all get a pony! w00t!
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Hell yeah! He sounds just as crazy as Ron Paul too! :P
Zuruck
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Zuruck »

Colbert for Prez!
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Saw that last night. Now Jon Stewart is running Colbert's SuperPac. Fuuuuuunny! Can it get any better? :P

What does that tell you about the smarts of some Republican voters that they'd vote for him. Colbert is constantly lampooning righties, but it's so twisted and subtle, I don't think they get that he's actually making fun of them. They're taking him seriously!
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Colbert might spend a lot of time making fun of some conservatives, but he still has a lot of conservative values himself. Think about how he teamed up with Huckabee in 2008.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

There's something rather spectacular about Colbert essentially trolling the entire political process by the act of participating in said process. :D
Zuruck
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Zuruck »

I do love the fact that so many conservatives actually believe that he is being serious. His entire schtick is satire...but damn is it funny. I don't think Huntsman finds it to be funny though...
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Remember when Colbert was invited to the Bush White House by Mark Smith of the White House Press Corps because he thought Colbert was a right wing comedian and he hadn't seen much of his work? Bwaahaaahaaa! Ooooh, Bush was NOT a happy camper! Thank you ABC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Co ... ion_Dinner