Framecap

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

El Ka Bong
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Framecap

Post by El Ka Bong »

I cannot override the 58 -62 fps cap on a D3 install in a PC. I have the correct command line ("-framecap 0) run at the bootup of the game, I've got Merc' installed and I updated with the ver.1.4 patch. However when I type "frametime" I see 58 to 62 fps, just like when the frame cap is on... This is a 1.8 Ghz Althalon PC, using the on board GF-4 video chip. Any ideas ?...

P.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Ensure that Vsync is disabled in the drivers and in the game.

Genghis
DBB Newbie
DBB Newbie

Post by Genghis »

And you may have to use Reforce or its equivalent to override your OS's control of the refresh rate.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

or RivaTuner. you say its a GF4 onboard, what version Detonator Drivers are you using. ( if possible )have you tried the built in Refresh Override in the Display properties if its available
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

Try going into display properties and resize your desktop to 640 X 480, notice the ugly 60 HZ default refresh? Set your refresh rate now... as high as your monitor will go in that mode.

Next move onto 800 X 600, set your refresh rate as high as the monitor allows while in that mode.

Move on up through your desktop sizes and set the refresh rates accordingly.

And as others have pointed out turn off V-Sync in both the display adapter app. and D3.

Hope this helps.
Darkside Heartless
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Darkside Heartless »

I checked my framerate, it's above 80, is that good?
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

http://planetdescent.com/d3help/framerate.shtml

80 aint bad - but I doubt that's your MINIMUM frame rate - and the minimum is what counts. The maximum means NOTHING.

Ideally you want 170Hz + refresh rate (800 x 600 on this Viewsonic is 168Hz!! Image) and 170 FPS+ - so ensure maximum fragability and game response - and reduced lag (Yes, there's lag! 50FPS = 20ms extra lag!)

However, anything over 100 FPS and any refresh rate higher than 80Hz is quite acceptable for 3D gaming in an action game (Whereas 10 FPS is enough for Space Station Manager - for example).

PowerStrip is what you want to control refresh rates, screen geometry and graphics card overclocking. The best tool by far. The other tools are not as versatile nor as powerful as Powerstrip.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

But Powerstrip costs money and it nags you. Image

That being said, you should check to see what your monitor's maximum refresh rate for each resolution before you start jacking them up.
BAAL
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by BAAL »

MD is right mobi. Powerstrip is a great program and does more stuff than most apps. Problem is that it's not a program that lends well to someone who isn't sure of what they are doing or what their monitors are capable of....If you aren't careful, you can screw up your monitor with that program.

I'd recommend something simpler such as reforce or refreshlock. The latter being what i currently use, since it can be enabled and disabled at will. It also will allow the average user to detect safe frequencies at each resolution.

Reforce and refreshlock are free programs available on the net which is another bonus. I wouldnt pay for the full version of powerstrip when i can get the job done for free.
El Ka Bong
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by El Ka Bong »

.. Ahh the deep wisdom we have to share about FPS, ... Thanks Y'all ! I'll try it all again ... It's happening on a PC I don't own,, so I have to wait to get at fixing things...

P.
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

If you dont buy powerstrip the 20 second nag countdown made me uninstall it.
Fusion
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Fusion »

What about Macs? Is there a way to uncap my max of 62.5 fps's?
I was recomended refresh force, but dunno if mac compat.
[NuB]Fusion
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

No.
Fusion
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Fusion »

Punisher,
Is that a "I can't uncap" or "refesh force not mac compat"
[NuB]Fusion
BAAL
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by BAAL »

macs are stuck at 62.5 there is nothing that can be done to uncap.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Jeez - Powerstrip window stays for 5 seconds. It adds one second each week. During boot up only. Drag the window to a corner and forget about it.

Better yet: *SHOCK HORROR* - buy the bloody thing - it's only $19 you cheap bastards. And if you are *that* piss-poor then astalavista.box.sk

Powerstrip kicks the living sh!t out of the other programmes - and what a crock of crap about runing your monitor. Dear God. Look, if you push your monitor(s) too hard, XP waits 15 seconds and reverts. If it doesn't, then hit RESET. Image

Even if you know NOTHING - you will LEARN with Powerstrip.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Image @ Mobius
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

*Kicks soapbox out from underneath Mobi's feet*
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

/me gets up off ground and dusts self off...

POWERSTRIP!!!
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Mobius:
Even if you know NOTHING - you will LEARN with Powerstrip.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why do you think Mobius HAS it! Image

Powerstrip is utterly useless POS for someone that has half a brain! Image

But we still lurb you if you MUST use it, just don't tell anyone you know us !!
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Fortunately, I have a whole brain, and therefore Powerstrip is completely ideal.

I really don't know what you guys have against Powerstrip. It's the premier product. No question.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Maybe if you're using something other then a Nvidia card. Almost everything powerstrip can do can be enabled in Nvidia's drivers. Overclocking / Refresh Rate overrides / etc etc...
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

You can even add custom resolutions with the more recent Nvidia drivers.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Mobius:
Jeez - Powerstrip window stays for 5 seconds. It adds one second each week. During boot up only. Drag the window to a corner and forget about it.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or better yet....uninstall the damn thing and get something better.
<font face="Arial" size="3"> Better yet: *SHOCK HORROR* - buy the bloody thing - it's only $19 you cheap bastards. And if you are *that* piss-poor then astalavista.box.sk</font>
Why should we pay for something that we can get elsewhere FOR FREE? 99% of whats in powerstrip is in the nVidia drivers by default to begin with!
<font face="Arial" size="3"> Powerstrip kicks the living sh!t out of the other programmes - and what a crock of crap about runing your monitor. Dear God. Look, if you push your monitor(s) too hard, XP waits 15 seconds and reverts. If it doesn't, then hit RESET. Image</font>
Mobius, stop being so damned ignorant. Not every monitor has protection against overmodulating. Image I've seen people ruin their monitors because they run the refresh rate up too high.