Noisy GFX card fan

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Sage
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Noisy GFX card fan

Post by Sage »

Anyone have an experience or links on tightening somputer fans? My computer has been making a lot of noise and it turns out it was because of my graphics card's fan beeing loose and wobbling side to side making a noise.

I tried to find a screw or something to tighten it, but I couln't find one. I peeled up the stickers and under the ticker on the bottom of the fan there was some kind of washer or something (sorry, I don't know sh8t about nuts and bolts and washers and that stuff)

I wish I could scan it but the scanner is hooked up to the computer that has the noise problem. and I don't have a digital camera.

Any help would be appreciated. :lol: :D :? :D :D :) :lol: :wink: :D :) :) :lol: :? :lol: :!: :?:
Cuda68-2
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Cuda68-2 »

Remove that fan and put an aftermarkett one in place. They make really nifty fans for all kinds of uses.
Sage
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sage »

Cool, yea I'll look around for em.

I put the computer back together and now when I boot it up it says "CPU not workable has been changed". lol, what a merry christmas for me. :D

I'll try some stuff to get him working again.

[EDIT]
nevermind, I just had to press F1.
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

if you have some 3in1 oil or gun oil (Light machine oil) put 1 drop into that place you saw the washer. That is the spindle and bearing. Should be good as new afterwards.
Sage
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sage »

Sweet, I'll try it out stress.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Just to add on to what Bill said:

Be sure to clean the fan before doing the following. Oil and dust are NOT two things you want to introduce to eachother if you catch my drift. :)

Just remove it from the heatsink and pull the sticker on the back off to the point where it uncovers the stopper. (usually its made of rubber, but occasionally it'll be a plastic piece) Remove the stopper and put a couple drops of 3-in-1 oil in there (just enough to get it wet, do not fill up the entire thing!) and put the stopper back on. Turn the fan blades for a minute to work the oil down in there. Then just put the fan back on the heatsink and you're done. This takes maybe two or three minutes to do, and you saved yourself a couple bucks in the process. :)
Deadmeat
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Deadmeat »

I'm curious as to why the fan was loose in the first place. Just what was securing it to the card? If you give us an exact make and model we can find a picture online and maybe help you better.
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

MD-2389 wrote:Just to add on to what Bill said:

Be sure to clean the fan before doing the following. Oil and dust are NOT two things you want to introduce to eachother if you catch my drift. :)

Just remove it from the heatsink and pull the sticker on the back off to the point where it uncovers the stopper. (usually its made of rubber, but occasionally it'll be a plastic piece) Remove the stopper and put a couple drops of 3-in-1 oil in there (just enough to get it wet, do not fill up the entire thing!) and put the stopper back on. Turn the fan blades for a minute to work the oil down in there. Then just put the fan back on the heatsink and you're done. This takes maybe two or three minutes to do, and you saved yourself a couple bucks in the process. :)

many fans dont have stoppers. Don't be supprised if yours doesn't
Mr. Perfect
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Mr. Perfect »

If you end up looking for an aftermarket fan setup, check out the VGA silencer line. Put one on my 9800 and its quite nice.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

STRESSTEST wrote:many fans dont have stoppers. Don't be supprised if yours doesn't
Actually, alot of the fans I've encountered had stoppers or some kind of access through the back. You're right though, some fans don't have stoppers. If it doesn't have access through the back, then I guess you're going to have to look into a replacement. Given that most of the stock fans are proprietary....you'll have to replace the heatsink as well just to mount a new fan. That, or be like Ace and ziptie it. :lol:
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

MD-2389 wrote:
STRESSTEST wrote:many fans dont have stoppers. Don't be supprised if yours doesn't
Actually, alot of the fans I've encountered had stoppers or some kind of access through the back. You're right though, some fans don't have stoppers. If it doesn't, then I guess you're going to have to look into a replacement. Given that most of the stock fans are proprietary....you'll have to replace the heatsink as well just to mount a new fan. That, or be like Ace and ziptie it. :lol:
?!

Sage, don't listen to that. Just because a fan has no stopper doesn't mean it has to be replaced.

/me slaps MD

There is still the sticker. If you get any oil on the sticker surface very lightly wipe the sticky side and the fan surface with a little bit of rubbing alcohol before putting the sticker back on.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

STRESSTEST wrote: ?!

Sage, don't listen to that. Just because a fan has no stopper doesn't mean it has to be replaced.

/me slaps MD
Umm....
Actually, alot of the fans I've encountered had stoppers or some kind of access through the back. You're right though, some fans don't have stoppers. If it doesn't, then I guess you're going to have to look into a replacement.
Thats what I was referring to Bill. ;) I'll edit my post to avoid any further confusion. ;)
Sage
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sage »

well, I tried putting the oil ALL down in there and it still makes god awful noise. I'll try some others things. including dunking the whole thing in oil.

just for information, it's a GeForce4 ti4200, and I beleive it's made by the PNY. it looks kindof like this:
http://www.hwupgrade.it/stampa_articoli/800/pny_1_s.jpg

'sept yellow instead of purple

I'm not 100% sure, I'll see & post.
Sage
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sage »

Oh god, a jesus god. It was not graphics card fan. OH MY GOD it was motherbord fan oh wow. I took it off it and put the oil in it and it works, oh god, it sounds like heaven now.

Thanks 2 for everyone who helpt. :D
justintimeforchristmas

Oh yeas, the gfx card isn't PNY it is eVGA but that aint really matter now does it.

thanks agen. :)
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

besht dbb xmas presant evar.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

MD-2389 wrote:That, or be like Ace and ziptie it. :lol:
SHADDDUP!!! :mrgreen:

that was a only a temporary installation untill i could get a new HS for it and the little plastic pins to secure the HS to the board
Robo
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Robo »

One of my fans is buzzing really loudly, and its the heatsink fan over my CPU. At first I thought it was a loose cable, and pulling that back solved it for a while.

Now I'm not so sure, and its really getting seriously frightening :P

There's no stopper on the fan, and I started a topic on it a few months ago.
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

1) read info above
2) Lather
3) rinse
4) repeat
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Sage wrote:just for information, it's a GeForce4 ti4200, and I beleive it's made by the PNY. it looks kindof like this:
For the future: you could get this thing :)