md practise

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Codger
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

md practise

Post by Codger »

Hi. Can anbody tell me if there is a single player level with lots of robots and md. I'd like to get a little practise trying to blow up stuff with this gun. I can't hit my ass with both hands with this weapon. Maybe a little fusion powerup too. Can't hit squat with that thing either. If I play in a level stingy on secondaries I'm dead meat all the time. (Nothing like lots of mortars and frags as equalizers.) :twisted:

If such a level doesn't exist maybe somebody could tell me of a tool I could use to make my own level packed with robots and md and fusion. I want something simple. I don't want to spend a year learning how to design, yadda, yadda. Thanks.
Couver_
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Couver_ »

Try the level "Firing Range" it has ships that you can blast at. Plus it has some longer areas for longer shots...
Codger
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Codger »

Couver_ wrote:Try the level "Firing Range" it has ships that you can blast at. Plus it has some longer areas for longer shots...
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

Yeah, firing range is good. Or I could make a level for you... :)
Unix
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Unix »

I always wondered if someone could make a "training" level for certain weapons. I think that could be very useful for newbs (and me too, who sucks at md/fusion)...
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Turn on cheats and play the firing range. Use whatever weapon's your weakest.

Atan made a level with gl/feeni/tank AI ships that weren't too bad for newer pilots. If I could remember what it was called..but you can look at Planetdescent and find all his levels. [LL]Atan
Couver_
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Couver_ »

Testiculese wrote:Turn on cheats and play the firing range. Use whatever weapon's your weakest.

Atan made a level with gl/feeni/tank AI ships that weren't too bad for newer pilots. If I could remember what it was called..but you can look at Planetdescent and find all his levels. [LL]Atan
Did he make Firing range? That one you fight all the ships and can choose to fly any but the BP.

*edit* good call on the cheat codes get you more gear that way. :)
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

Go in Polaris, get gunboys, drop them outside. And see how fast you can shoot them down while moving.
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

Well, I suppose I could make a dedicated level pack for weapons training. A couple of ideas to throw around:

One weapon per level (I.E. MD, fusion). Two levels use the same weapon.

The first level has no enemies shooting at you--they just try to avoid your shots. The second level is where they will return fire.

I could dabble in AI, but I'm not sure how well it would turn out... I might, however, be able to create some "dodge" ships that actively try to stay out of your sight and avoid weapons fire.

The levels would be fairly simple; basically one large arena with maybe a couple of tunnels. Eyecandy would be limited, but it wouldn't look too horrible.

Robots would be spawned semi-infinitely, in increasing amounts and difficulty, until the player completes the level.
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

Whoa, first time I've double-posted in a long time. Strange...
Codger
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Codger »

Stryker wrote:Well, I suppose I could make a dedicated level pack for weapons training. A couple of ideas to throw around:

One weapon per level (I.E. MD, fusion). Two levels use the same weapon.

The first level has no enemies shooting at you--they just try to avoid your shots. The second level is where they will return fire.

I could dabble in AI, but I'm not sure how well it would turn out... I might, however, be able to create some "dodge" ships that actively try to stay out of your sight and avoid weapons fire.

The levels would be fairly simple; basically one large arena with maybe a couple of tunnels. Eyecandy would be limited, but it wouldn't look too horrible.

Robots would be spawned semi-infinitely, in increasing amounts and difficulty, until the player completes the level.
Sounds S W E E T! All your ideas would make an outstanding "training" level. "Firing Range" is a very good start but the enemy Pyros are waaay too slow. It's harder 'en hell to find an md and the secondaries in the special room are totally unnecessary. Hell...I haven't seen those type of weapons hardly ever, in some cases never. I sure hope you got the energy to make such a level. Noobs and old timers, like me, who are weak in their skills would benefit greatly.

p.s Thanks Gooberman and Testiculese. I'll try that
Codger
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Codger »

Couver_ wrote:
Testiculese wrote:Turn on cheats and play the firing range. Use whatever weapon's your weakest.

Did he make Firing range? That one you fight all the ships and can choose to fly any but the BP.

*edit* good call on the cheat codes get you more gear that way. :)
Remember off hand what that code is? I could do a Google but it's more fun and easier to chat.
Codger
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Codger »

Another reason I brought this up, besides being a lousy shot is because I've run into some characters who can pick me off with md and fusion( not so much fusion at a distance) at fantastic distances and while I'm jinking around like overdosed tweaker...and they still nail me. Now that is impressive. They got some talent, skill, practise, whatever which makes their use of those weapons awesome. I must become more proficient because running around spraying geen balls in a BP just don't seem to get it. Yeah, the vauss is another precision weapon but half the time, for some net reason I'm sure, the damn thing is shooting blanks, sounds cool tho'.
LEON
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by LEON »

"ivegotit" gives you all the weapon.

Have fun :)

Leon
Codger
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Codger »

LEON wrote:"ivegotit" gives you all the weapon.

Have fun :)

Leon
Genghis
DBB Newbie
DBB Newbie

Post by Genghis »

Otherone's level DOHme is excellent MD practice. It's a training level designed to teach you to dodge missiles, but you use an MD to turn the missile launchers on and off.

The best practice for MD is to hit the switch that turns on ALL missile launchers, then try to turn them off one by one using the MD while dodging all the incoming secondaries. MD's a lot harder to use when you're running for your life.
Zero!
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zero! »

i tried firing range, but they move hella slow, i need someting harder, i might try gengs thing out.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

One caveat about D'OHme: when you hit that master switch, look out. :P
Codger
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Codger »

Stryker wrote:Well, I suppose I could make a dedicated level pack for weapons training.
I checked out that d3edit program just to see what it takes to design a level. Yeah, right. That aint gonna happen :shock: I'm amazed that so many guys made so many great levels. It looks very time consuming, requiring lots of dedication and energy...and that's just learning how to use the program. :cry:
Codger
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Codger »

Zero! wrote:i tried firing range, but they move hella slow, i need someting harder, i might try gengs thing out.
Too bad opponents don't move that slow in the real deal. I could nail 'em with rocks and be a demi-god by now (or whatever the rank is in d3) instead of a lousy ensign...after 4 years of d3 online. I seem to be, however, quite proficient at running into my own frags and mortars. :oops:
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

I'm working on the MD training level. I'm creating phoenix, pyro, and magnum imitations, and I'll be programming my own AI too. It doesn't look that hard; mostly a matter of making a lot of animations and setting them up with GAMtool.
Codger
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Codger »

Stryker wrote:I'm working on the MD training level. I'm creating phoenix, pyro, and magnum imitations, and I'll be programming my own AI too. It doesn't look that hard; mostly a matter of making a lot of animations and setting them up with GAMtool.
Glad to hear about your new project. I, for one, look forward to it.

I enjoy Ceph Base. It's good to get into a fun single player occasionally.
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

D'home by Otherone is another level that will let you learn. It's not weapon specific, but it is pretty damn rough.
Zero!
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zero! »

i get 20 fps in d home so i deleted it ;p
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

20 FPS? What do you have, a 486? :P
TheCops
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TheCops »

STRESSTEST wrote:D'home by Otherone is another level that will let you learn. It's not weapon specific, but it is pretty damn rough.
yup yup.
ain't that great for the moving target learning but teaches you to shoot while dodging a thousand homers. i always suggested the level to newbies (heh) i encountered.

thank you otherone, even more thanx for bill the cat and moria. :)
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

Ok... this is just using a test level I made in about 30 seconds to test weapon MODs in, and it's definitely NOT the final geometry beta. It's basically a shell to test my MODs in. At any rate, I now have a fully functioning pyro AI that seems to be quite capable of staying out of sight. Check it out and tell me what you think--it may be a little *too* strong for a trainer robot. The final version will not have red lasers, BTW. :P

http://www.stryker2.com/MDTrainer.zip

The server's slow, so just be patient.

Also, be warned: I have only tested this thing on trainee, and though it couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, I will NOT guarantee that you won't be slaughtered if you try to take it on in anything above hotshot. :P
Codger
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Codger »

Stryker wrote:Ok... this is just using a test level I made in about 30 seconds to test weapon MODs in, and it's definitely NOT the final geometry beta. :P
Fantastic. Damn, but you're fast. I'll give a whirl and let ya know. Thanks. :D
Codger
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Codger »

The training level works fine. I didn't think the pyro robot was too strong. Do I increase the difficulty by entering the level in multiplayer mode? I couldn't figure how to dial in insane in single player.
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

You'd have to exit the level, go into options, select the pilot you're using, go to configuration (I think) and select the difficulty level. I've only tried it so far on trainee and hotshot, and it's a little more aggressive than I want. I'm wanting the thing to try and stay out of your field of view, not fly into your face and start attempting to maul you with red lasers. :P
Codger
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Codger »

Ok I'm able to dial in hotshot, etc. Yes, the pyro does seem to want to get up close and personal. I have to backup and get a little distance so that it aint like shootin ducks in a barrel. Lol.
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

Yeah, it still needs some tweaking. :P Even with red lasers it is quite a competent opponent on hotshot; if I add MD to it I'll need to reduce its aiming abilities or no player would get a shot in edgewise! It also has some flight problems, so I'm definitely going to have to tweak it a bit before it's fully released. Maybe I'll increase its circling distance...
Codger
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Codger »

Stryker wrote:Yeah, it still needs some tweaking. :P Even with red lasers it is quite a competent opponent on hotshot; if I add MD to it I'll need to reduce its aiming abilities or no player would get a shot in edgewise! It also has some flight problems, so I'm definitely going to have to tweak it a bit before it's fully released. Maybe I'll increase its circling distance...
Nice job, tho, for such a quick turnaround. I checked out d3edit and somebody's web page with in depth tutorials and hell's bells this would be like trying to learn a programming language almost. :roll:
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

Actually, other than to set up that quick level, I haven't touched D3edit. ;) I've been using oodles of other D3 editing tools such as OOFedit, GAMtool, MN3Edit, and HogView32, but other than that... :P

D3edit wasn't too terribly hard to learn; I'd say that you can learn the basics in an hour or two. It's mastering the advanced tools and learning how to make something look good that can take weeks.

Actually, from my experience, programming languages aren't that hard to learn either. :P Learning programming languages and learning D3edit do have their similarities, however. I should know; I've learned QBasic, Basic, Visual Basic, a little C++ and Visual C++, and a fair amount of Java and HTML. I doubt if I'll be doing programming as a career, but it's always nice to be able to tell a computer in a language it can understand what you want it to do. Plus, I need the credit hours in computer courses for the college path I'm working towards. :P
Clayman
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Clayman »

They're probably hard to find these days, but playing a pilot who is good with MD 1v1 is very good practice. Back when I switched from KB-only to stick a year ago or so I played a lot of 1v1's. I remember one night when ZeroCool (who is very good with MD if you haven't played him) and I played played Kata for a few hours straight - after that my aim was a whole lot better. Experimenting with stick or mouse sensitivities can be helpful. And of course, nothing beats practice, just get in a level, any level, and use nothing but MD. To repeat the old saying, the more you put into it, the more you get out of it.
13Lucky13
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by 13Lucky13 »

i want that md practice thing when its done, please post it

the thing i love about DOHme is the mad dash to turn off the master switch after youve died
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

I've been working on another project; but it'll involve using the AI pyros from this project, so I'll have to perfect them anyways for it. Seeing as how that and the scripting are the hardest parts of the project, this should turn out pretty quickly once I get working on it.