onboard sound vs. sb audigy card

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

onboard sound vs. sb audigy card

Post by ReadyMan »

I think I'm going to get this mb for my new system (p4 3.2 chip):

Abit MB IC7 P4 Intel875P Socket478 8MHz 4DDR AGP-Pro8X 5PCI SATA15 wAudio Raid 8USB2. 1394 HT

it comes with onboard sound, but I was thinking of getting a sb audigy 2ZS platinum card....I've always been a dedicated sound card fan, but does anyone know or have experience with this mb's sound?

I dug up some references in the dbb about soundstorm onboard sound, but I guess they dont make it anymore...

as an aside, anyone know anything about that mb?

thanks!

RM
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Soundstorm is for AMD boards only, and thankfully is making a comeback for newer nForce 4 motherboards.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Intel onboard sound chips are no slackers either, onboard sound chips from the retail mobos today are much higher quality then the OEM boards of the past.
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

so Krom, do you think it's worth having a dedicated sound card ($160 or so for the audigy) if onboard sound is available?

is there a particular mb with sound that you'd recommend?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Not really, for both questions.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

You can knock close to a $100 off of your quoted price...
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDe ... ode=290223

The only reason why I bit the dedicated sound card bullet is because with a non-Creative device, you're just always going to have those few games (like Descent3) that just don't sound right with 3d sound (i.e. DirectSound 3d or EAX) enabled. But this isn't much of an issue if you don't use 3d sound or are not big into gaming.
Defender
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Defender »

I like having 5.1 support in my sound card :)
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

Thanks Jeff. The quoted price I have is for the platinum version of the card....
tho I doubt there's much difference between the 2, other than the front mounted controller in the 5 1/2 bay (something I think I want :) )
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

i have the abit IS7, its not the same but pretty similar, and i'm very happy with it. onboard sound was just fine in everything i ran, games, dvd's, movies, etc. just the eax though, i was used to playing games with it enabled and going from that to something else was wierd, so i picked up an audigy 2 for $60 some odd dollars just for the eax support.

as far as performance goes, onboard sound on that board is pretty solid.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Defender wrote:I like having 5.1 support in my sound card :)
So do I, most motherboards today support 5.1, mine included, I even have a digital optical sp-dif out on my board.
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

Soundstorm for Intel is on the horizon, if you can wait...
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

punisher wrote:Soundstorm for Intel is on the horizon, if you can wait...
Soundstorm is dead
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

fliptw wrote:Soundstorm is dead
Thats just....dumb! Soundstorm is what really sold me on my choice of motherboard. I just hope they're whipping out something just as good or better.
Teddy
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Teddy »

i recently upgraded to a 939 amd setup, and the board i got was a gigabyte k8ns ultra. It supports 8 channel sound with the onboard codec. So far, every game has had absolutly no problem and it even supports eax, I imagine being an onboard deal, it supposedly takes alittle out of the cpu, but i cant tell the diffrence from my old audigy which i pulled out cause the whole creative line doesnt play nice with tv-cards/pvr software.
Admiral LSD
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Admiral LSD »

Pity SoundStorm is dead, an upgraded SoundStorm combined with one of those newer 8 channel, 96Khz high-definition "Azalia" (AC'97 on 'roids basically) codecs would rock da house.

I ditched my BSLive because I got sick of Creatives endlessly crappy drivers, even the unofficial kX drivers were still complete ★■◆●. I wasn't expecting much from SoundStorm but anything had to be better than Creatives shite. Long story short: I was pleasantly surprised and wouldn't even dream of replacing it, god knows what I'll do when I inevitably have to upgrade this box. Hopefully by then SS would have made a comeback :D