cable modem vs DSL

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Ned
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

cable modem vs DSL

Post by Ned »

Hiya,

Im getting pretty torqued thinking about Comcasst charging $60/mo for internet if you dont watch TV, so Im wondering what DSL quality is like, ie Verizzon. :?:

Can you guys give any opinions?

It's like $60 vs $30

Im giong to help a friend get Fios at her house, but thats a separate things, my 'hood doesnt have that yet
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I've had cable and DSL at the same time.

Cable - faster overall top speed.
DSL - More consistent overall speed.

Only problem with DSL is the further you are from your local loop (telco station) the crappier your connect.

I upgraded to 5MB/800Kbits cable from the 3MB had before and I'm not disappointed. I consistently get 600KB downloads and upload at 100KB.
Ned
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Ned »

Hmmmm

Thats going to be hard. I dont know most of my neighbors.

The cable here is pretty consistantly good, just seems like the price is a rip.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Cable = shared bandwidth with everyone else on your node != good
Cable = Shared upload capabilities != good
DSL = dedicated bandwidth = good
DSL = dedicated upload = good.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Mobius wrote:Cable = shared bandwidth with everyone else on your node != good
Cable = Shared upload capabilities != good
DSL = dedicated bandwidth = good
DSL = dedicated upload = good.

Why not use dialup? That's just like DSL but cheaper. :P
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Yeah, you're still sharing bandwith with DSL on the same switch.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

CDN_Merlin wrote: Cable - faster overall top speed.
DSL - More consistent overall speed.

I have to agree with Merlin here. Infact, I have the same 2 options that you do Ned. Comcast or Verzion. I chose Verizon. It's pretty stable and reliable.

Merlin hit it right on the head with those 2 summaries.

Verizon offers some options for more web space (which is harder than ehll to access) and faster speeds .. all for a premium of course.

Comcast also offers some great speeds but they shaft you with modem fees. Sure, you can use your own Cable modem BUT we're going to charge you for it anyways. .. something like 5 or 10 dollars. go figure.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Cable = shared network with 400 of your neighbors(crowded node)then you hit the switch. if you have people on the node who are heavy downloaders/uploaders you will feel the result and when worm virii get on the node...hahahah

ADSL (residential class) = not shared until you hit the switch. Upload and download are not guaranteed and are best effort (realted to distance (12-15k loop)). This type is like a seesaw, uploads and downloads affect your overall speed (Ex 1500/256 or 3000/384)

SDSL (business class) = not shared until you hit the switch upload and download are guaranteed (7 to 12k loop)best effort, but are consistant (EX 768/384)

They rate the distance not above spec for SDSL because of the sppeed issue so it's not always available where ADSL is

So basically it all depends on what you are doing

Gamer CABLE/ADSL
Webhost / Server Hosting SDSL
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

I currently pay 42.50/mo for Cable internet through Adelphia here. I get 4000/384. If prices continue to rise I'm considering DSL. Although it is only 768/128 here and $30 a month, but at least it is finally available.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

My own personal experience with Comcast Cable versus Bellsouth ADSL was that the cable generally gave me more bandwidth and hence a better browsing experience and the DSL seemed to be a whole lot cleaner (e.g. less packet dropping in games).
Ned
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Ned »

Hey

Thanks for the comments

After doing some digging
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,13249762

I've decided to stay with overpriced cable. Looks like DSL in my area is too buggy. People's download speeds seem to vary from 1500 to like 50 often hitting really low speeds when people get home from work. I think DSL is like $30 for a reason: they know they can't provide reliable delivery at the speeds expected (like 1500), so they charge what the market can bear.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Cable = shared bandwidth with everyone else on your node != good
dude.. WTF?

shared bandwidth is never good. all it does is slow down your speed. It also leads to LOSS. This is like saying a hub is better than a switch.

the biggest difference between cable and DSL is; DSL is a dedicated line from you to the DSLAM, and then to your ISP.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

He said that it wasn't good. != means "is not".

If your cable ISP is any good at its job, and has the funds to properly operate its service, shared bandwidth won't be too much of an issue. Unfortunately, the larger-scale the ISP is, the less likely the are to adequately provide service to your area.
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

The upper limit on most DOCSIS cable modems is 30Megs. Until DOCSIS 3.0 is finalized, then the upper limit can be as high as the cable company has the bandwidth to support, but most prototypes are running anywhere from 120megs to 400+ when combining several channels.

Having said that - *basicly* DSL and Cable and Fixed Wireless (waverider and breezcom/Alvarion etc equipment ) are all deliver similar service, with the ISP determining speed caps, and DSL and wireless have distance limits, and wireless has environmental interferance concerns as well as inherent ping lag (altho some are better than others) due to the nature of airwave broadcast.
Hahnenkam
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Hahnenkam »

We had Verizon DSL and it interfered with our phone and answering machine. I assumed I set it up incorrectly, so I called support. Turns out I had set it up correctly; so, I ditched DSL and got cable. Problem solved. However, keep in mind that I live in middle-of-nowhere New Hampshire, and the phone lines are crap. Probably the same wires that carried telegraph signals in the late 1800's :roll:
REDDER
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by REDDER »

When I first moved to Fort Collins, Colorado I signed up for both DSL (Qwest) and Cable (ATTBI which is now Comcast).

I was told the DSL was Rate Adaptive. All I know is that I experienced a "slow down" on heavy usage times in the evening on both. I ended up dropping the DSL because it would fall off to just under 100 Kps where the cable might drop to 1200 Kps. At the time the cable cost $12.00 more per month than the DSL. I decided that the cost for DSL wasn't worth it when it was returning speeds that "felt" like dial-up.

Now 3 years later I still have cable and enjoy it very much. The 1.5 M download went up to 3 M and is now 6 M and you just can't match that with DSL. Even if there is a "slow down" because of usage... one barely notices it.