USB to Serial on a DOS 6.2 system

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

USB to Serial on a DOS 6.2 system

Post by d3jake »

Well since my laptop is older than me (i'm 15) is doesn't happen to have a USB slot (pity...) so I was wondering if there are any USB to Serial thingies somewhere floating around in space. It would make my life a bit easier.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

there are Serial to USB, but not USB to Serial. USB needs powered leads, and serial ports don't provide that.

your SOL.
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

I hope it has PCMCIA if so then your not SOL :)

http://www.techadvice.com/info/item.asp ... &iid=16640

Hope this helps.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

So you have a 486DX laptop? o_O

Wow - that should be in a museum.

I have 4 x brand new 486's (SX, DX and DX100) sitting inside little shadow-box picture frames, as art. :D
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

one of my college teachers has a 8086.... even has the parity BIOS chips. one is EVEN Parity and the other is ODD Parity.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

Naw, I'm not lucky enough to get a computer with a PCMA, was it?, in mine. It doesn't even have a headphone jack. O.o The thing about it that it has enough physical memory to bearily run Win 3.11 but the machine itself can't use that much...

Sory for bringing this thread back from the dead, during spring break I don't have much access to the net. When I orginally posted this thread I had biked *+ mi. to Hastings, MN from Hampton, MN. (Not just for that mind you.)
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

What exactly do you need to be using USB for on a laptop that old? If you are talking a mouse or some other controller device, it's futile. If you are talking a USB hard drive for backing up files, you would have better luck pulling the hard drive out of the laptop and using an adapter to connect it directly to a desktop computer. There are even USB to IDE converters that have support for both desktop and laptop hard drives.