drum solo!

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

drum solo!

Post by Ferno »

http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=bruno_marques_2_low

check out how he can work the snare.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Not at all impressive. He's just smashing things around. I didn't hear a single run of continuous notes, no harmony, his timing is way off, and he's sloppy. Looks like someone without the requisite musical ability was shown some technique, and did a lot of practice. (And I'm not even a drummer, wait till DC sees this :))
Tricord
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tricord »

x2

Sucks. It seems random and there isn't even a proper timing in it.
Admiral Thrawn
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Admiral Thrawn »

Dang, from the way you guys sound, I would think that you are professional drummers and your scrutinizing and judging because this guy wants to be in your band hehe.

As far as what I can see, I'm not a drummer, but that guy seems to be pretty damn fast. Very impressive.
HaAGen DaZS
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by HaAGen DaZS »

its fast, that coupled with his stamina is impressive.

wheres the groove?
wheres the feeling?

Thrawn, this is quite a common feeling amongst muscians, sure its fun and cool to have badass chops, but what is there when there is no destination or feeling? nothing; and thats the same for any instrument!
Phoenix Red
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Phoenix Red »

Before I jump on the bandwagon here I'll say that he seems pretty damn fast, and I couldn't do that, and he's obviously very good at being fast.

However, when what he's doing there tries to cross the line between noise and music, it's not quite making it. Maybe whatever he's playing is meant to be heard not solo, but even still, it lacks.
Fusion pimp
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Fusion pimp »

I agree, nothing but fast. Sounds like a bunch of noise to me.
Admiral Thrawn
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Admiral Thrawn »

My point is this, as Ferno brought out, he posted the video with the message about checking out how the guy works the snare. He didn't say check out the rhythm or the fluidity of the beat.

It seems that no matter what is posted on this forum, people are almost ALWAYS quick to point out the negative.

I'm not upset or irritated by it though, it's just something that I tend to notice around here.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

He's got great technique, I'll give him that (though he needs to work on his left hand a lot, the sound and pacing is uneven). He has no feeling, though. My guess is he started out as a drummer in a marching band and took up set playing later. He's got the drumhead EXTREMELY tight to give him that fast bounceback that he needs to keep up the speed, and he even uses traditional sticking. His skills are wasted, though, as he has no feeling for music. His entire playing style is centered around breaking into long press rolls. There's no groove. I doubt any bassist would put up with this guy for long, unless they're playing solely covers. This guy can probably mimic any song perfectly.

He needs to put his snare skills to good use. Stewart Copeland (The Police) and Carter Beaufort (Dave Matthews Band) would be great starting points for integrating his fast wrists into laid-back grooves. I've also been on a bit of an Interpol kick lately, and their drummer knows when to be heard: the song Obstacle 1 is a great example of when and how to use snare technique and when to just shut up. Nobody (except drummers :P) listents to songs for the drum solos. But any musician can pick out a drummer who understands the music on the whole.

I can say, without feeling the slightest bit haughty, that I am a better drummer than this guy. Not as fast, mind you, but with a much better understanding of music and the role of the drumset in a song. With a lot of work, I could get my wrists up to that speed. It's all a matter of controlling the bounce.

I should have a sample of my drumming abilities in the context of an actual song within a couple weeks. Then you can all lambaste me for being a proud prick. :D
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Nice, AT.

nowhere in my post did I say 'this guy has some awesome technique' or anything like that. the guy is damn fast and can go for a very long time. that's all I said.
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

How can you people draw these sweeping conclusions from a 5 minute film? He wasn't even playing to music. He was just screwing around on his kit.
XSabre
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by XSabre »

Heh! That guys fast.

When i saw the topic though, i had thought this was going to be the video.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

punisher wrote:How can you people draw these sweeping conclusions from a 5 minute film? He wasn't even playing to music. He was just screwing around on his kit.
Because when you're "just screwing around", the basis of your style is what comes out. When I'm "just screwing around", I'm usually anchored to a certain beat that I've had ingrained ever since I started drumming. You can tell when he's trying to integrate other styles into his own (the attempt at bringing in the toms in an odd time signature is probably the best example) and when he falls back to his standard drumroll.

Sabre: wow. I've seen really good street drummers, but that guy is the best I've ever seen. He should be writing breakbeats, not begging for cash. :(
Tricord
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tricord »

I'm with DCrazy on this. There's no continuity in this drummer's work, not even over five seconds time.. The street drummer though, he's tight. His rhythm increases though, but I guess that's OK when playing solo. I do sudden rhythm changes as well on the piano.

And "screwing around" is a good measure to evaluate musicians who generally play without sheet music or improvise..