A rather different turret idea

For Descent, Descent II and Descent3 level editing and modification assistance.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

A rather different turret idea

Post by d3jake »

I was sitting in school the other day and I got an idea for a turret that I don't think has been done before.
It would be behind a wall-face and the only thing visable would be a oval-dome around it. The special thing about it would be that it fires missles alot like the F/A-22 does in that it "shoots" out the missle, so the vunerable part of the turret is only exposed for a very short amount of time. I wish I could post my sketches but the shhet that I drew them on I had to turn in on friday...
So if you think this is good or should be trown in to a waste bin let me know, thanks!
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Not a particularly new idea. If I read it correctly, it sounds like one of those pod shooters in the old Mega Man games that's invulnerable until it opens itself to fire. ;)

Hasn't been done in Descent though... let alone any "shielded" robot.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

That is one problem I came up with: How would you give a robot a shield?
I do think I know what you're talking about, I've seen the gun your talking about. It is kinda like that but... maybe it isnt that different.
To contruct it would I have to just attach a Invunerable robot to the turret itself or...?

Hope to hear your responses!
Boo
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Boo »

This was actually one of those ideas that was going to but never got implemented in game. Those green-laser turrets in SP level one were supposed to be sunken in the ground, then pop up to fire.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

I'm not sure how you'd do it. My inclination would be that the turret and the shield would be two different robots attached to one another, the shield being invulnerable. I know you can toggle immunity in a DALLAS script, but I can't think of any robot in the game that has a shield or invulerabilty that toggles on and off.

The turrets that fire the homing missiles, for example, have invulnerable "base" components that get left behind once you blast the turret off.

What Boo says with turrets ducking in and out of the ground would be more tricky. I'm not sure Descent 3 takes kindly to robots (or any collidable object) being halway submerged in collision.