New D3 Patches

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

akula65
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

New D3 Patches

Post by akula65 »

My apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but there is a 13 January 2006 news item at http://www.descent3.com/ which indicates that the Descent 3 Version 1.4 No CD and Version 1.5 Beta patches have been updated to fix a Windows 98 issue.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

For the 6 people in the world dumb enough to still use Windows 98 to play games online.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

You'd be surprised, Krom...

I know an unbelievable number of guys that still use Win98 on Kali, mainly to get things such as Descent working.

I personally bug-dodge in XP, but... :)
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by BUBBALOU »

Sirius wrote:...an unbelievable number of guys that still use Win98 on Kali, mainly to get things such as Descent working.
there are reasons for this too

1 - too cheap to buy an OS upgrade
2 - mommy set it up for them and they have no clue
3 - they have a system that can not even run ME
4 - their video card is still an intergrated S3 Virge
5 - they do not know how to turn off the XP NW-Link autosense feature
6 - the list goes on and on

:roll:

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

Actually the nwlink ipx/spx auto detect is what worked.
Aggressor Prime
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Aggressor Prime »

I wonder how Descent 1/2/3 will run on Vista...
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Some people done care. It's not important to them. *shrug*
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by d3jake »

Krom wrote:For the 6 people in the world dumb enough to still use Windows 98 to play games online.
So I'm dumb now? :evil:Well, I must say that 98 is better than XP. My reason? It's simpler and why should I change OS when the one I already have works?
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Some day your FAT32 file system will crash, and hard. It's only a matter of time.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

^ Load of BS.

I still use Win98 for legacy games and its a great OS. Not perfect but its still good.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re:

Post by Krom »

d3jake wrote:
Krom wrote:For the 6 people in the world dumb enough to still use Windows 98 to play games online.
So I'm dumb now? :evil:Well, I must say that 98 is better than XP. My reason? It's simpler and why should I change OS when the one I already have works?
I could probably find a normal looking page on the internet that would infect your computer with one or more viruses and cause massive damage to your operating system and data. Windows 98 is so completely full of old exploits that have not and will not be fixed, running it for anything other then a legacy box is risky enough that you can call it just plain stupid. ;)

And I don't really see how Windows 98 is simpler, lets try it out in a reasonably common task like setting up a normal high speed internet connection vs Windows XP.

Windows XP: plug in network card, connect LAN cable to cable modem/dsl modem, turn on computer, done.

Windows 98: plug in network card, connect LAN cable, boot up computer, install network card drivers, reboot, find and resolve IRQ conflict between network card and sound card, reboot, install TCP/IP on finally functioning network card, reboot and enjoy because Windows 98 always takes twice as long to boot if it is trying to use a network card then if it has no network card installed, and finally done if nothing else goes wrong.

I would say Windows XP is simpler. :P
Matrix
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Matrix »

Aggressor Prime wrote:I wonder how Descent 1/2/3 will run on Vista...
Same, Vista has been so down graded from what they wanted it be its pretty much just an XP upgrade :P
I've used it, I know :P
(22:58) [X]LunchBoxInVirginia: I see myself standing on top of a pyramid standing in 'Sun God' like robes with thousands of naked women screaming my name. throwing little pickles at me
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Behemoth »

Krom wrote: Windows XP: plug in network card, connect LAN cable to cable modem/dsl modem, turn on computer, done.

Windows 98: plug in network card, connect LAN cable, boot up computer, install network card drivers, reboot, find and resolve IRQ conflict between network card and sound card, reboot, install TCP/IP on finally functioning network card, reboot and enjoy because Windows 98 always takes twice as long to boot if it is trying to use a network card then if it has no network card installed, and finally done if nothing else goes wrong.

I would say Windows XP is simpler. :P
I was actually going to mention something along the lines of that until you did.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Jeff250 »

Top Wop wrote:^ Load of BS.

I still use Win98 for legacy games and its a great OS. Not perfect but its still good.
FAT32 doesn't journal. It'll catch up to you.
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

(watching the win98/XP debate is very entertaining... especially since both sides are... both right and wrong).. :mrgreen:

Face it guys, both sides have some legitimate reasons and arguing it is ... silly. ;)
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Xamindar »

Jeff250 wrote: FAT32 doesn't journal. It'll catch up to you.
No it wont.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by d3jake »

Krom wrote:
d3jake wrote:
I could probably find a normal looking page on the internet that would infect your computer with one or more viruses and cause massive damage to your operating system and data. Windows 98 is so completely full of old exploits that have not and will not be fixed, running it for anything other then a legacy box is risky enough that you can call it just plain stupid. ;)
It called a firewall!!! Heard of it? I have happened to have, believe it or not.

I do think that you have valid arguments, those should not be discussed here, PM me if you really want to stick it to me that bad.

BTW, what were the bad side effects to using the 1.5 patch? I have a copy of it, but I haven't tried to use it yet...
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

A firewall won't help you, like I said, a normal looking page. You click it, you go to it, your PC goes boom. It will go right through your NAT router and firewall because you asked for it. :P
Matrix
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Matrix »

3djake, have you ever even used XP for anything besides web broswing?

Try XP for a while, you go back to 98 and u will be sick to ur stomach after 20min of trying to get your NIC and sound drivers to work right.

Your either ignorant or have never used 2k/XP if you think 98 still a decent OS.
Even MS admits its a POS, they don't even suport it or make patches for it anymore.
(22:58) [X]LunchBoxInVirginia: I see myself standing on top of a pyramid standing in 'Sun God' like robes with thousands of naked women screaming my name. throwing little pickles at me
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Re:

Post by MD-2389 »

Xamindar wrote:
No it wont.
Heh, yes it will. Particularly as often as BSOD prone 98 is. Data corruption is very easy to accomplish with FAT32. NTFS is light-years ahead of FATxx.

I always had to re-install 9x every six months or so due to windows rot. (if you don't know what that is, look it up.) I've been running the same XP install for almost two years now and its still loading as fast as day one. Can't say the same for 9x. ;)
"One spelling mistake can destroy your life. A Husband sent this to his wife : "I'm having a wonderful time. Wish you were her." - @RobinWilliams
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by d3jake »

d3jake wrote: I do think that you have valid arguments, those should not be discussed here, PM me if you really want to stick it to me that bad.
Hmm, apparently you don't read too good... I don't want to use XP and none of your insulting me (indirectly or otherwise) won't change that.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Re:

Post by Krom »

d3jake wrote:
d3jake wrote: I do think that you have valid arguments, those should not be discussed here, PM me if you really want to stick it to me that bad.
Hmm, apparently you don't read too good... I don't want to use XP and none of your insulting me (indirectly or otherwise) won't change that.
Tisk, where is Mobius when you actually need the grammar nazi. :P
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Re:

Post by Suncho »

d3jake wrote: BTW, what were the bad side effects to using the 1.5 patch? I have a copy of it, but I haven't tried to use it yet...
The main one is that it's not compatible with D3 Version 1.4. Almost everyone plays 1.4 and you will no longer be able to play with them.
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TechPro »

MD-2389 wrote:
Xamindar wrote:
No it wont.
Heh, yes it will. Particularly as often as BSOD prone 98 is. Data corruption is very easy to accomplish with FAT32. NTFS is light-years ahead of FATxx.

I always had to re-install 9x every six months or so due to windows rot. (if you don't know what that is, look it up.) I've been running the same XP install for almost two years now and its still loading as fast as day one. Can't say the same for 9x. ;)
Hmmm... I think there is always something one can learn from others.

Among the systems I have, one of them is an old system running Win98 SE (not strong enough for XP) and it's been running on the same installation of Win98 SE for about 6 years without a single re-build. If almost never gets a BSOD and almost all the programs on it run just fine (I say almost because not everyone makes a well behaved program).

You usually couldn't last more than 6 months ??? You may need to learn some practical "maintenance" habits. ;)
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

i guess this topic is here in the cafe now coz it's an announcement and all.
it is announced!
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Looks like even most of the \"elitist\" crowd of guys I know are running Windows 2000. For good reason, I must admit (98 is ridiculously unstable for me; the NTFS drivers are utter trash).

The one guy who usually uses 98 would be running DOS if he had his way with the world. ;)

But yeah, Krom states in a nutshell the problems with the \"use win98\" solution to getting D2 working; it sucks so much I'd rather play something else.

Thankfully D2x works fine for me in most ways, so I have no need to do that. (On a good day when the skies are clear of bugs, D2X-XL works well also.)
fyrephlie
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by fyrephlie »

screw xp and 98... i spend all my time trying to get everything running under windows 3.0... so far i have solitaire running 'fairly' solidly... and mspaint is definatley the best graphics editor availiable today. stupid elitists trying to run that 'windows for workgroups' 3.11... ugh.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Re:

Post by MD-2389 »

TechPro wrote:Hmmm... I think there is always something one can learn from others.

Among the systems I have, one of them is an old system running Win98 SE (not strong enough for XP) and it's been running on the same installation of Win98 SE for about 6 years without a single re-build. If almost never gets a BSOD and almost all the programs on it run just fine (I say almost because not everyone makes a well behaved program).

You usually couldn't last more than 6 months ??? You may need to learn some practical "maintenance" habits. ;)
You might want to look up windows rot. ;) Try installing and uninstalling apps and see how much windows slows down. Its not the fact that it was unstable after six months, its the fact that it slowed down to the point that it was either deal with a slow system or re-install.
"One spelling mistake can destroy your life. A Husband sent this to his wife : "I'm having a wonderful time. Wish you were her." - @RobinWilliams