IPods

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

IPods

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Hey everyone,

I've been thinking about getting a little IPod for trips and such and especially for riding my bike for exercise this Summer. Any thoughts?

The odd thing is that I've noticed that they all seem to have the annoying price factor. I was looking on Amazon and I notice that you can get a 3-4 Gigabyte IPod for around the same price as a 30Gig. Why is this?

I was thinking about just a 1 Gig Nano but it only carries 240 songs which I'm not sure would be enough space for my likes. I would like to keep my price down to around $150 if possible. Being that I can just get an MP3 Discman for around the same price and carry around more songs on a disk at any given time than on an IPod.
pATCheS
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by pATCheS »

There's a lot more than iPod out there. Have a look. :) For $150 you're pretty much stuck with small capacity or used. I myself have a Rio Karma, a nice little 20gb player that plays OGG and FLAC, but unfortunately lacks mass storage functionality (that mode where you can plug it in and use it as a USB hard drive without any drivers).
Money!
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Money! »

try Creative Zen Micro
Birdseye wrote:It's never over
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

I bought a 2gb nano off a friend of mine, and I really like it. If you buy new youre gonna pay a premium, but if you can get a good used one then you'd save a bundle. You could try going to Best Buy, Circuit City, etc and play around with their display models. You might find that another player has what youre looking for but costs less.

The reason the 4gb iPod costs the same as the 30gb iPod is because of the different type of memory used in em. The nano uses flash memory, which makes it smaller and more durable but costs more per gigabyte. You'll find the same type of deal with other brands too. Go here for more info.

In your case, since you want to use it for exercising and bike riding, I'd look into a flash-based player since they can handle abuse more safely than a hard drive based player can.