Anyone familiar with Windows Fax Services ?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

REDDER
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Anyone familiar with Windows Fax Services ?

Post by REDDER »

I have a PC set-up with Windows 2003 Small Business Server. I would use the fax service in the SBS2003. I have this all set-up but I have one problem.

Here is the background info. I have several questions listed after this info.

I currently have a fax machine that shares my voice telephone line. The fax is a current model so it works with my answering machine, etc. If a fax tone is detected the fax will auto answer and receive the fax.

I would like to keep the same configuration as explained above except use the SBS2003 Fax services as my fax machine.

Here is what I have on the SBS2003 so far. I installed an old Zoom Z2948L Fax Modem. I configured the fax services and everything works. It then occured to me that this will only work with a dedicated fax line.

The Zoom modem does not use a auto detect type routine when the modem answers the phone. This modem had an old voice mail feature if used with an old \"Communications Lite\" program.

Question 1 - Can I config an auto-answer feature into the modem via the fax services settings? I cannot find any setting so far and they probably are not there but I thought it was worth asking incase I am not seeing them.

Question 2 - I can purchase a fax model that can receive faxes and then send those to a file in my PC. Anyone know if I can set that fax as a modem in SBS2003 and have the fax send the fax files to the Win Fax services. This way I can get the auto-answer feature to work with the fax. I just am not sure that I can make it talk to the Win fax services.

Redder out